May 30, 2011

SOF AFTER PROM 2011

I did not attend Prom, but I did attend after-prom and heard enough about prom that I think I got the picture. First off there is a lot of intoxication involved in this process and not so much celebrating (after-prom). I feel that studying this subject in class was somewhat helpful because it shed-light on to what we were doing. THERE WAS A HUGE WHITE LIMO AND most ladies were still dressed up, or in the second outfit of the night, but the guys had mostly changed into sneaks and jeans. Me & Amhara showed-up as outsiders. We took the train, walked a WHOLE lot, were juniors, and where not dressed up. WE DANCED, and that was fun.

There was typical hooking up in between dates, and idiotic jealousy, and gossiping that I will not get into detail about because it was idiotic. In the end it felt like an over-hyped over-costly party. Prom is materialistic and all that crap but it seemed like no fantasy in my eyes. The speakers did not work and at first we could hardly hear the music, there was coca-cola and strobe lights.

I think besides the over analytical portrayal of the details of prom it is a celebration that is worthwhile. We are expected to work hard to get a special piece of paper so we should be rewarded with "care free fun". The evening seemed to go perfectly scripted as described by our classroom discussions, and there was no straying details.

I would like to attend my prom next year because I heard it is great fun to dance with all your classmates and teachers, I do not wish to indulge in a limo or a $500 outfit or even a $120 invitation ticket. I just want it to be a relaxed AFFORDABLE event where I can have fun with my peers in the opposite manner that is normally expected in a school.

I feel the night for me in a way was a rite of passage because I stayed up all night long and went straight to "work" the next day without sleep. It felt cool, but I WAS OD' TIRED AND OD' SORE THE NEXT DAY. It is funny how before there were lights and cities no one was nocturnal. We lived in light of the sun. When I go upstate, sure we stay up into the night but something about the city can change the time you value.

No comments:

Post a Comment