May 23, 2011

iniTIL THOUGHTS !

I went to prom in middle school. I remember being excited and feeling as though I was doing the "big girl thang". I remember my parents thinking it was ridiculous, even that I was having a cap and gown graduation. "It's just middle school. . . "I didn't understand how they could not value and be excited by my big day like I was. I bought my dress from some cheapy place with my mom and her friend on Fordham road in the Bronx. I got my hair done, and took a cab to school. It was in our gym and the windows were blacked out. Everyone was grinding and I had never been to a dance before. It was the first time I got drunk, and the school used the red carpet from the hallway as a "Hollywood" red carpet, it was so ridiculous but I was really into it. I felt nervous about going but I felt as though I had to, and it was expected of me. I felt ostracized and odd at the prom. The French call these middle school teen years " age de la dende" or "age of the turkey" when one is awkward and sort of weird. When one is beginning to turn into a women/man but are not completely there yet, thus making one an odd duck.

Sophia Schwab described prom as "scripted" I think it is so true. What come to mind is the polyester dresses that people get online with fake rhinestones and 3rd world country seams barley holding together. I find it is just as scripted as any other ritual whether it be Christmas or a baby shower.

I see prom as the exclusive party of the year. Where everyone that not normally hangs out all go to the same party because they are paying for it. Some reason feeling the need to deck out and spend $200 for one normal party when on a normal weekend night they would probably not pay more than $10 to get into a party. It's weird how standards seem to change for one event.

No comments:

Post a Comment